Sunday, August 17, 2008

Olympic Women's Marathon

Did anyone else watch the marathon on television? I was so excited to see it knowing Gabriela was running. Unfortunately, she wasn't in the lead pack, so I never got to see her. She finished in 2:53:45. The detailed results are here. I can't wait to talk to her an hear all her stories.

I felt so bad for Deena Kastor. I can't imagine the agony of breaking a bone while running- and to not finish the race after all that training and promise- I hope she can come back. Paula Radcliff is already talking about 2012 here. I watched the pain on her face as she ran. I doubt many would have been able to finish in as much pain as she was.

The GRR running team will have to tap into their Olympic will next week. I'll be cheering you on from here!

Benita

2 comments:

Leah Swedboston said...

thanks Benita.
Okay...so I was duatholoning while Deena was running...or did she not run at all? did she break her foot while she was running the marathon? I am so confused. and I guess I could just do a google search and find something out.

I was so glad to just see Paula finish the race. I saw the replay of her considering a drop again...for the second year. But happy for her to see her grind it out. I can only imagine the grief she would have been given if she woudl have dropped two olympics in a row.

I had no idea Gabriel was running. That's pretty cool.

Benita said...

Deena dropped out with an injury 20 minutes into the race. Another american runner, I can't remember her name, dropped out also.

Gabriela didn't make a qualifying olympic time, but she's the only runner from Costa Rica so they let her in.

I read on CNN that she got great cheers from the crowd as she entered the stadium.